Saturday, June 23, 2012

And It Begins!

Welp.  We're here!! All the way from Alva, to Orlando, to Miami, to Managua, to Nagarote. I'm sure that sentence will make an English teacher FLIP.

Anyway.  We got here Friday around 11 Nica time.  I was STARVING! Never been that hungry before I'm sure of it. We had the usual drive from Managua to Nagarote. Beautiful views and lots of mountains!  We even had the pleasure of seeing a guy go #1 off the back of a moving truck!!! How's that for a welcome back?

We came into town, dropped our bags off and went in search of food.  We usually eat at the hotel we stay at but recently the mission leaders have been eating out at local restaurants and say its just as cost effective and there's more variety.  We had a choice of beef, chicken, or pork. I went with the beef and I expected beef.  I got:  Chicken noodle soup, salad, fried plantains, some kinda squash/zuchinni amazing concoction, and steak with a creamy onion sauce on it.  DEAR SWEET MOMMA, IM IN HEAVEN! Best Nica meal I've had yet.

After that we went to the finca(farm) that Steve and Angela(mission leaders) purchased and scouted out their land and buildings that are being erected.  I picked the exact spot I want my house.  Its on the highest point of the land overlooking 2 volcanos and a lake.  How epic of a view can you get? I think thats pretty high up on the list.

I went back to the Lopez house and we all went to bed. Got a HARRRRD HAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDDD rain around 4 a.m. I've got a tin roof and decorative blocks for a window, so... I heard every drop. 

Then I had this strange dream that someone was disrupting the church service by crowing like a rooster.  I, of course, asked him to stop and when he refused I challenged him to a drum-off.  I somehow managed to pull off an OK solo and he failed miserably yet continued to crow.  It was at that moment I woke up, realized the sun was out, and there was an actual rooster in my window crowing.   Gotta love Nicaragua, right?

But all that craziness aside, it's been a nice first two days.  I'm sneezing up a storm from all of the plants in bloom but I'm going to the pharmacy Monday to remedy that.  The meals that the Lopez family cook are delicious, I have a warm... WARM bed to sleep in, and I have the favor of God for this trip. I can't think of anything better to do over the summer :)

Tomorrow is a church/pick up the first group day then Monday I start my tiling project!  Keep those prayers coming! I love and miss you all. 


Peace,

Todd

3 comments:

  1. Miss you too. Have fun and bring me something back. (ps...your car is still here. Safe and sound.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Dana by the way...my old blog name posted.

      Delete
  2. I'll be sure to bring you something back:P

    ReplyDelete