Sunday, June 26, 2011

Travel day and first day in Nicaragua

Ah, Sunday. A day to relax.  Our group woke up a little before 8am(10 your time) to grab some breakfast and then went out around Nagarote.  We explored some local sites like the old train station, a school for the poor, and a large tower you can walk to the top of. All in all today so far has been good :D

Now I can update you on our travels from yesterday.  I woke up at 5:50 (which I didn't know existed) and finished up my packing, got in the truck, and left for Clewiston.  My family and Krista met the bus taking our missions group to Miami at Burger King where we ate our last meal together and said our goodbyes.

Once at the airport it was business as usual, check in, check bags, check out(mentally!). Once I had my bags checked in and my boarding pass I waited for my friend Brian and my girlfriend Krista to acquire theirs.  Once that was done we went to go find our terminal and wouldn't ya know it...we got lost!  No biggie though. After much thought and careful planning Krista pointed out we were standing RIGHT NEXT TO our terminal.

Nothing too special happened for a while, flight to Panama...layover...layover...zzz... Flight to Managua! When we reached Managua I was SO ready to be in Nagarote and just fall asleep.  A huge surprise to me was that we were met at the airport by our good friends from Nagarote. They even had a sign they created that said something like 'Welcome Frostproof in Nicaragua'. Nothing like southern hospitality, huh?

Well, after that there was a 45 minute drive from Managua to Nagarote where I talked with Josue most of the way home. I'll be staying 2 weeks with him and his family starting next Monday so expect to hear more about him!  We pulled in to Nagarote and Josue's sister Karina stood up and said "Welcome to Nagarote!!" and we all clapped and cheered, happy to be in our home away from home.

We unloaded our 40 boxes of supplies and took our items to our rooms. I saw some people I remember from 2 years ago and surprisingly, they remember me! We all filled up our water bottles with the cooler at outside our rooms and we were off to bed.  A fun filled day required a good nights rest.

I'm so glad to be back in Nicaragua. I'll post some pictures I've been taking as soon as I can.  Take care everyone!

Todd

P.S
Thank you for the continued prayer and support, it means the world to me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know y'all are safely there... looking forward to reading your updates. Remember this first blog post you wrote 2 years ago - From A Teenager's Perspective???

    ReplyDelete